For a class I was forced to do some sort of volunteer work or go to drug court to write a paper. I took the easy way and just went to drug court because my schedule at work has been kind of crazy, but I decided to actually start volunteering somewhere on days that I do have free time. I chose a local food bank to start at. Little did I know some people aren't as open to volunteers as I would have expected...
Two of the people I was working with were really nice and I hope to see them again when I go back. However, another person was not as welcoming and I actually thought she was going to jump me until one of the workers stepped in and directed her somewhere else. She thought I was there because of a court order for community service, I don't see why that matters but I guess to her it does. Even after finding out I was just volunteering she kept acting the same way, I guess she assumed I was lying. I swear I'm the only person who can turn volunteering into a negative social situation...even though it wasn't my fault.
Yesterday was my first day there. I signed some papers, talked to a few people, and then went to work in the warehouse. I didn't really do much other than basically reorganize things, but I suppose any extra hands can help because they have a lot of work to do. We didn't talk much and even though the weather was fair outside it was pretty cold inside the warehouse. I couldn't stay long because I had to go to work but I enjoyed the little time I did spend there (minus the lady who wasn't too fond of me) I'll be going back tomorrow morning at 8 to spend about two hours before I have to be at work at 11. I plan to keep this up. Even though that lady was slightly discouraging and didn't want me there, she can just damn get over it. lol.
But you have to figure out a way to live. Now that's hard.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Okay...please inform me where you volunteered at. I could have given you some great places too! Also, what'd you think of drug court? pretty interesting huh? :)
Post a Comment